Well School students can engage various types and levels of sports after school. The fall season is our primary season for team sports, including both soccer and cross country running.
- Students in 1st through 3rd Grade can choose to participate in developmental Lower School Soccer, which meets once a week.
- Upper School (grades 5 through 8) students participate in Element Team Soccer, which consists of games once a week and a final tournament between four teams of mixed grades.
- Upper School students may also choose to join the interscholastic Travel Soccer team.
- Cross Country is also interscholastic and is open to students in grades 4 through 8.
For all inquiries related to our in-school sports and interscholastic athletics programs, please contact Heather Jenkins, Athletics Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Read more about team sports below.
Lower school soccer
Lower School Soccer is offered once weekly after school throughout the fall soccer season. This is a developmental program designed to provide students with an opportunity to play recreational soccer in a fun, exciting, low pressure atmosphere. Students in 1st through 3rd grades gather together for fun, practical skill building activities designed to keep them engaged while teaching them the fundamentals of the game of soccer. Sessions typically conclude with scrimmages where players get to try out the new skills they have learned. This has been a very successful program at The Well and is a great way for new athletes to be introduced to soccer and also for our more seasoned young players to hone their skills without any pressure.
Element team soccer (upper school)
Students in grades 5 through 8 are each assigned to one of four mixed-grade Element Teams: Earth, Air, Water, or Fire. These teams challenge each other in many different ways throughout the year, one of which is Element Soccer.
Throughout the fall the four Element Teams gather once a week after school to compete in two soccer matches. Students are given the opportunity to fill roles that are traditionally held by others: they play on the field, help with coaching, facilitate subbing, and help make decisions on the field. Parents are encouraged to come out and show their support, and we always have a good crowd on hand to cheer.
travel soccer (upper school)
Our co-ed travel soccer team is open to any student in grades 5 through 8. There are typically eight to ten soccer matches each season, and we enjoy competing with a range of teams from Nashua, Manchester, Dublin, New Ipswich, and other area towns. Games take place on our regulation sized field and away at other schools. We follow US Youth Soccer guidelines for U14 play.
The interscholastic Cross Country team is open to students in 4th through 8th grade. The season consists of home and away meets and concludes with a State Championship race in late October. Students in 4th grade may participate in our home meets, but are not permitted to travel to away meets. Our 5th through 8th graders are eligible for all meets, and our top runners travel to the middle school State Championship.
Our 1.9 mile home race course begins and ends in the center of The Well School's campus. It consists of a mix of rolling surfaces, including grass, dirt roads, and wooded trails.
2017 home meet results:
- 9/14/17 vs. Henniker, Weare, & St. John
- 10/12/17 vs. Jaffrey-Rindge Middle School, Winchester, & Shaker Road School
- 10/17/17 vs. Amherst Middle School, Shaker Road School, & Surry Village Charter School
Well School course record holders:
- Boys: Tyler Hebert (Monadnock Middle School) - 12:15, 9/27/2016
- Girls: Taylor Clark (Amherst Middle School) - 12:27, 9/9/2014
- Well School Student: Calvin Bates - 12:34, 10/16/2012